Sunday 4 November 2007

Life is just an accident, accident, accident...

Argh. ARGH. I am entirely sure that you will completely understand me when I say: You know when a song is so irreversibly lodged in your head, you could swear its engraved, at least 100 times, on the inside of your skull, or when it feels as though the little men in charge of your brain have formed an impromptu choir to belt the song out at the top of their voices, and you believe that in all likely hood it will last forever?

Yes?
I’m sure you do…

So, basically, I’ve been caught entirely unawares by one of Foals’ tracks “Cassius” winging its way to me, from over the airways, into my mp3 player, and then firmly in to the very centre of my mind. I can literally feel it nagging at me.

Previously I had been pretty much unimpressed by the songs composed by this funny lookin’ quintet (I mean, what the hell kind of genre is “Math Rock” anyway, and how on earth are you meant to reconcile Dance and Punk?! – apparently you can but I was fairly sure I didn’t agree with it.) As it happened though, yet one more Foals song found its way to my ears. The first concession was made - I thought to myself “yeah that’s not bad” and then here comes the fatal mistake – I listened to it again; I thought “I’ll just give that another listen” I was suitably impressed and put it on to my iPod – Very Dangerous. Though at this stage it just seemed like a pleasant enough song, pacey, good beat, good to listen to; something more was waiting for me.

The next morning, I played it on my iPod during the weary bus ride into school, and I’m not sure if it’s the piercing lead guitar that seems to slice into my brain and scream “DANCE NOW!” or the throbbing bass that blasts into everything in between my left earphone and my right earphone like a mix between a wrecking ball and an alien mind ray, or the excruciating passion in Yannis’ voice that sounds to me as if his cutest and most favourite lovey eyed puppy is being slowly skinned in front of him, but something out of this mix (actually lets be straight, its all three.) clouts me round the head and says “Oi, this is a fucking good song”.

And there you have it – hooked – for the rest of the week if people want to talk to me they have to grab me when I’m not getting another fix of “Cassius” off my iPod, as well as then having to deal with me warbling “cassius its over.. cassius awaaay” at them. It’s blasted its way to my most listened track on Itunes in a matter of 4 days and even now is cycling round my head in a continuous loop. Most days I’ve done away with other songs and have just switched to “repeat one” and drowned myself in a “Cassius” induced trance. This isn’t a one off, but this is the most serious case I’ve had of it, I doubt it’ll be my last, but you must excuse me, I’ve gone this whole article without listening to it and my brain and that place somewhere near my heart are beginning to itch again. It’s a very real addiction.

Please help.

Foals - Cassius

1 comment:

Admin said...

its a great song!

cassius its over
cassius away

just seen the new vid too, its pretty odd.